HGV drivers travelling to or via France must have proof of an authorised negative COVID test, before arriving in Kent, or any UK port.
Drivers are required to have proof of an authorised negative test, from the last 72 hours, before crossing the border.
Those using Kent ports are also legally required to have a Kent Access Permit.
Free tests and border readiness checks are available at Information and Advice sites across the UK.
- HGVs leaving England for France can only cross the Channel with evidence of an authorised negative COVID test. This measure is mandated by the UK and French governments, and will stay in place until further notice
- HGV drivers arriving in Kent with proof of a negative Covid test and a Kent Access Permit will now be ‘fast tracked’, with quicker access to the port or Eurotunnel terminal
- Drivers without proof of a negative test will not be able to cross the border and this will cause further delays.
You should get tested before you arrive in Kent:
- Hauliers can also get an authorised negative COVID test from a private testing facility and firms may have their own arrangements.
- Free testing is also available at the Information & Advice sites across the country. Testing is being offered at 34 sites, but please check gov.uk for the latest opening hours and information.
Increased checks at the French Border
French customs authorities are operating a zero-tolerance policy to HGV drivers without the correct import and export documentation for the goods they are carrying. French authorities will be checking the following documents.
Hauliers using the Short Straits (Port of Dover or Eurotunnel) must also use the Check an HGV is Ready to Cross the Border service to:
- apply for a Kent Access Permit
- check you have the correct EU Import and Export paperwork you need to cross the border between Great Britain and the EU via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel
You can be fined £300 if you do not use the service when travelling through Kent ports, or if you provide a fraudulent declaration. Hauliers who arrive at port without the correct Import and Export documents will be turned away.Back