On 30th September 2022 the ability to make import declarations using HMRC’s CHIEF system will end. This System will be replaced with CDS (Customs Declaration Service). The ability to make export declarations using CHIEF will end on 31st March 2023.
What you need to know
The Motis Freeflow team are busy preparing for the forthcoming introduction of the new HMRC CDS system that will process import declarations from September 22, and exports from April 23.
The Customs Declaration Service (CDS) supports making import and export declarations when moving goods into and out of the UK.
CDS will require that more information is obtained from importers and exporters in order for us to complete customs entries so please expect to be providing us with more information once we reach the deadlines.
You can make declarations as soon as you have signed up to use CDS.
What you need to do now
Most business have a Government Gateway account and you must register for the Customs Declaration Service using this account. This can take up to 5 working days so please ensure this is done as soon as possible to prevent delays.
You'll need your Government Gateway user ID and password as well as:
- Your GB EORI number
- Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number
- Address of your business held on customs records
- Your National Insurance number (if you're an individual or sole trader)
- The date you started your business
If you do not already have a Government Gateway account you can register here.
We are encouraging all of our clients to prepare for the roll out of CDS and to take note of the following instructions to help with the transition:
Once the above has been completed, you'll gain access either straight away or within 5 working days (if HMRC need to make more checks).
Changes to the way Duty & VAT are paid
- If you have a deferment account payments will be taken from CDS’ bank account and therefore new direct debit instructions must be completed by clicking here.
- FAS will be replaced by the cash account for more information click here.
- For details of how to pay immediately by BACS, CHAPS, online, by telephone banking or by debit/corporate credit card click here.
How to set up a standing authority on the Customs Declaration Service
- Login to your Gov Gateway account >
- Go to Your Customs Financial accounts and select Manage your authorities >
- Select Add Authority >
- Enter EORI number GB802072966000 and select Continue >
- Select both Duty Deferment and Cash options and then Continue >
- Check the details are correct (Motis Ireland Limited) and if so select Yes and Continue >
- Select Today for the start date and then Continue >
- Allow this user to see available balances, select Yes >
- Then enter your name and check the details and providing correct then seelect Confirm this authority and submit
How to set up a Direct Debit instruction on the Customs Declaration Service (one signature)
For further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us